Monday 15 August 2016

Elijah is 5 years old!!!

Elijah asked for a few things for his Birthday, a snail enclosure, a skipping rope, chess board and a pinata (one he could smash all by himself). Dan was supposed to be out of town for Elijah's birthday, so we did not really make a plan...but luckily the trip was cancelled. We found out the night before that Europa Park was free on your Birthday- so in the morning we made some pancakes and we were off to Germany! We had an amazing day going on ride after ride, visiting all the 'countries' and even watched a bubble show where the guy did the entire performance indoors- smoking cigarettes and blowing the smoke into the bubbles- you know a typical kids show. We did not arrive home till super late so we did not even end up doing cake or the pinata, but it worked out perfectly as we had family come by the next day for an impromptu visit and we celebrated together. 

I always loved the age five. Whether it was being a camp counsellor for five year olds at summer camp, directing drama plays with them at the community center, teaching them yoga, or instructing a huge group of five year old girls at Sparks. It was my favourite age. And now, I have a five year old! I am excited to see what the year brings. To be honest it started out a bit rocky, with a failed summer camp, a bout of sickness, and a very strong willed "NO" for going to school in the fall. We were not off to the best start, but sometimes that needs to happen for things to shift. I really took the time to think about Elijah, listen to him and follow his lead. He is determined, courageous and not afraid to think outside the box. With my help, he wrote out a list of things he wanted to do this year and what he wanted to learn: going to museums, art galleries, climbing trees, learning violin, doing ballet, playing ball, learning chess, watching math videos, doing LOTS of science, cooking and baking, learning about Space and Ancient Egypt. "See mom, I can learn this all at home with my encyclopaedias and watching documentaries. Besides, when we go back to Canada I can go to forest school". He was right, and why did it matter? I had this idea that it would be great for him to go school here, learn French meet new friends, but that is not what he wants right now. Sometimes you have to stop and listen, and see your child for who they really are, not some made up idea of what you think they want or need. So what if most of your friends are adults, or if you act a bit silly when you are in big groups that overwhelm you, and that sometimes it is hard for people to see who you truly are because they always see you in those situations. This year I am going to try my best to stop caring about that, embrace you and your amazing self and try not to get too frustrated. You have taught me more than I ever thought possible, I hope in return I can guide you through your life in a way that fosters your amazing talents, abilities and that very inquisitive mind of yours. So here's to watching videos about geometry, learning which planets have moons, the theory of the big bang and enduring the squeaky violin! I love you Elijah. Happy 5th Birthday.
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment